Professional Internship Program
The Professional Internship Program offers candidates an opportunity to gain professional work experience and improve career opportunities in almost all academic fields and a wide range of industries. *
It is aimed at candidates seeking work experience / internship positions in Australia. An internship is a great way to gain exposure into the professional work environment and develop professional workplace skills. All placements are non-paid training positions and they are available in all major cities of Australia.
*Certain fields may require extra lead time and/or additional requirements such as portfolios. For all field related to Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths, please refer to our STEM internship Program
Note: Positions in the Health Industry for doctors, nurses, dentists etc. are not available due to government restrictions.
Internship lengths vary depending on candidates and their objectives or academic requirements. The minimum length is 6 weeks and maximum length is 26 weeks.
To view currently available vacancies please visit our Vacancy Explorer.
In order to be eligible for the Professional Internship Program candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Aged 18-30
- The internship field requested is directly related to your educational background
- Currently enrolled in a tertiary course (bachelor degree or above), or
- A recent graduate within 8 months of course completion (bachelor degree or above)
- Upper intermediate – advanced English language skills (equivalent to IELTS 5.5)
* if you hold an Australian Visa with full working rights or is applying for an Australian Visa with full working rights, we have flexible arrangements in regards to eligibility criteria. Please, contact us to confirm your eligibility.
START DATES and lead time
Interns have the flexibility of choosing their preferred start dates (allow for 3-4 month lead time)
- 4 months lead time for 408 Temporary Activity Visa candidates
- 3 months lead time for candidates with proof of suitable working visas (e.g. Working Holiday Visa)
This can be flexible if you are applying for an existing vacancy. To view currently available internship positions please go to Current Vacancies
Enquiry and Assessment:
Complete the online form and find out whether you are eligible for the program. Eligible candidates will be sent an application form.
Application & Processing:
Complete and return the application form along with the supporting documentation and the AU$500 application fee.
You will then provide us an application video after which Australian Internships will negotiate your internship details.
Confirmation & Payment
Australian Internships will arrange an interview for you with the Host Organisation after which the internship will be confirmed through a formal Training Agreement. Any outstanding fees to be paid.
Visa & Travel Arrangements
Australian Internships to negotiate with The Department of Immigration regarding visa processing for you which will take between 4-6 weeks. Or, you can make alternative arrangements (e.g. Working Holiday Visa). You are to confirm with Australian Internships your arrival details.
Congratulations! You are about to embark on an incredible journey. You will have an orientation when you arrive in Australia.
Once you begin your internship we will be asking for your continued feedback and continue to provide you with support.
You will have a contact at Australian Internships that will help you through every step of this process.
* Additional programs are available. Please contact our friendly staff to receive more information about how we can customize a program just for you!